We hope this email finds you social distancing and safe & healthy at home. We continue to operate at regular hours, with a reduced staff, to see sick patients, refill medications & food and help you navigate this challenging time. Our boarding facility remains closed. We are here for you, so please contact us if the need arises.
– To extend social distancing for clients & pets visiting the hospital, we have added a new K9 Corral for all dogs coming in. Your admitting tech will give you more details but it’s a way to admit your dog without touching a tech and vice versa. All cats must be in a carrier before being admitted.
– We’ve received a few questions about the Tiger who recently tested positive for corona virus at the Bronx Zoo as well as about any risk from our own pets. Public health officials believe this tiger became sick after being exposed to a zoo employee who was actively shedding virus. This investigation is ongoing.
- Infectious disease experts and multiple international and domestic human and animal health organizations continue to agree there is no evidence at this point to indicate that, under natural conditions, pets can spread COVID-19 to people. Pets can have other types of coronaviruses that can make them sick, like canine and feline coronaviruses. These viruses cannot infect people and are not related to the current COVID-19 outbreak.
- The CDC has not received any reports of pets becoming sick with COVID-19 in the US. To date, there is no evidence that pets can spread the virus to people.
- It is still recommended that people sick with COVID-19 limit contact with animals until more information is known about the virus.
- At this time, the testing of animals for COVID-19 is NOT recommended.
- The best practice is to wipe down leads, carriers and gear with a household cleaner when used in a public setting.
For more information, please check the CDC or AVMA websites.
– We are still receiving shipments from most of our vendors (some mildly delayed) and are happy to fill your pet’s prescriptions for you for pick up. We are accepting payment via phone and once you have arrived, our Curb Side Concierge service will gladly bring what you need to your car. For home delivery without the need for a written prescription or a trip to Newtown Vet, please visit our competitively priced online pharmacy at
Lastly, a special thank you to all of the clients who have sent care packages our way over the last few weeks. These days can be long and we appreciate the kindness!
Happy Easter and Passover,
Stay safe & we hope to see all of you soon!
The Doctors and Staff at Newtown Vet